Sunday, March 1, 2009

Really?!?

Who would have thought that we would wake up this morning to this:

The kids went into orbit as soon as they saw all the snow outside. We're not exactly well-stocked with snow clothes, though, so I dressed them in about 14 layers each, and we hit the slopes.

Isn't that what you're supposed to say when you're going skiing? Not that we even have a hill, much less a mountain!

I'm gearing up for spring photography sessions, so I took advantage of our exceptionally happy children to 1) document the incredible rarity of this much snow in Alabama and 2) practice some new photography and processing techniques I've been working on. I took over 200 pictures, and I obviously can't post them all here, so here are some of my favorites (I've totally got print preparation down, but I'm still struggling with preparing pictures for the web, so these look pretty bad on here)...




These next pictures had us cracking up! Abigail is so not a diva, but she sure looked the part when she put on her sunglasses to try to keep the bright light out of those beautiful blue eyes...


Remember Abby's snow angel struggle at Stone Mountain? Well I think she's finally got it down...


I think you could say Jack was in awe of the world of white he saw when he first went outside...

...but he's just like his mommy. When he gets too chilly, he says it's time to head in!

While these little creatures aren't quite as cute as the ones you just saw, I thought I'd give wildlife photography a go...



And last, but of course not least, since neither Izzy nor Josh can walk right now, they held down the fort inside while the kids and I played outside. Here's Izzy seeing snow for the first time...

...and here's Josh watching the fun from the front door. Sad.

I thought it was saying a lot to note that we were wearing shorts about this time last week, and now today (on March 1, mind you) we're playing in several inches of snow...

But that no longer seemed that ridiculous impressive when precisely three hours after I took that picture above of Josh, I took this one:

Same for these, too...


Only in Alabama, people. Only in Alabama.

And not to leave on a sad note, but unlike Jack, Abby would be happy as a little lark if it snowed every day. Here's what happened when she realized the snow was melting...

If you want to see some more of the photos from today, check out the online gallery HERE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!!
And so envious that we didn't get any of the white stuff! I love the look of wonder on the faces of Jack and Abby; and I love the"3-hour difference" shots, too -- Amazing! Oh, and the bird photos -- absolutely beautiful!! Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Sweet little Abby, so sad because the snow is going away! That is just too cute! You captured some beautiful shots!
Unlike Abby, though, I'm glad the snow is gone!

Love, Aunt Libby

Anna said...

poor abby! so sad! your pictures are beautiful!!! love the vibrant colors and expressions of your kiddos! i love the birds too...wow! i think ya'll got a tad more than we did "down south"...ours turned to mush and slush too soon! love you all!