Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Descent Upon Gadsden

You know how tons of bugs swarm towards a back porch light on a hot, summer night? Well, that's the mental image I had as my sister, Bethany, her family, and our crew all headed to my parents' house to celebrate the 4th this weekend.

In a matter of hours, my mom and dad went from having a peaceful, still, quiet home to having a house exploding with activity and noise because of two one-year-olds, two two-year-olds (who are both boys and are incapable of sitting still), a four-year-old, two sons-in-law, and a couple of adult daughters (one of whom is currently doubling as a baby-grower).

Bethany, I hope you're not offended that I compared you and your family to multi-legged, flying insects...we're all bugs, too.

We did have mercy on our parents in that Bethany's family came early/left early, and we came late/left late, so the house was only busting at the seams for a few hours. Mom and Dad were total troopers, though, and not only did they accept the madness that ensued by having those five little ones around, but they jumped right in and provided loads of fun things for the wild monkeys to do!

(In a continuing effort to be in the moment, my photos from the day are limited).

Always a hit, they had pool-play for the kids.


(Contrary to what you might think looking at that sea of uninterested faces, they really did have a fun time in the water...that is until the little hornet incident. No stings, just the sight of Bethany throwing the kids out of the pool to protect them.)

There...this is a little better.


The kids also had a blast on the swingset (Photo courtesy of walmart.com...what's happening to me, people?!?)...

...and the guys enjoyed tossing the football around in the backyard.


Thank you to my mom for this next photo. Because she likes documenting family times about as much as I do, she might actually beat me out as The Least-Photographed Person in the World. I hope you had as great a Fourth of July as we did.


(I would dare say my parents are probably feeling a little more Independent today!)

No comments: