Friday, October 10, 2008

Wow, what a night

Last night was somehow a wonderful and terrible time all at once. For some reason, I couldn't shake the image of Josh's coming home from my mind, and I was so saddened by what I saw. Josh used to have a company car, but of course, that stayed back at his office, so he was driven home by his former boss. The kids and I went outside to wait for him, and when he drove up, he looked so dejected. So insecure. He stepped out, and we just grabbed him to hug him (all crying, of course) and tell him how immensely proud we were of him. And this next part is heart-wrenching for me...he opened the back door and began removing everything that used to be in his office. It just seemed so humiliating. Here he was just unloading it all into our front yard...and I just kept whispering "We love you. We're proud of you."

God says He "despises the proud but gives grace to the humble" (Prov. 3:34). Well we are definitely humble today. Josh is at the admin office right now asking the vice president for some type of severence pay. He is filling out "termination forms" for his file. He's asking a representative from HR about when our insurance will cut off. My prayer over and over this morning has been for God to protect Josh's heart from defeat. He desires for us to be humble, but He in no way desires for us to be defeated. There's a drastic difference between the two! Isaiah 40:31 says "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." This is a picture of freedom and strength.

Not of defeat.

As I prayed this morning, we have no idea what direction God is leading us, but we know that He is here. We know that He is guiding our steps. I told my mom last night that my desire is to see every single step of this journey right now. All at once. But God doesn't promise me that. He promises to guide my very next step. So we are praying today not that God will show us the whole path, but that He will hold our hands tightly as He leads us to the next step.

Please pray for a "peace that passes understanding" to guard our hearts today (Phil. 4:7). Especially for Josh. And pray for a good result from Josh's meeting this morning. Thank you for holding us up in prayer during this time.


Love,

allison

3 comments:

Marie said...

Allison, I've been praying for you all since Anna called last night. You will be victorious in this journey. I love you all, especially because of how much you and Anna mean to each other. Hug the babies for me and you and Josh keep encouraging each other. Love you. Marie

Anonymous said...

Allison and Josh - We love you and your family so much! I know that God has his hand on you and that you guys are going to gain strength through this! Just know that we are praying for you and know that God has something greater than you ever imagined in store for Josh and your family! Have faith and continue to stand on his word. I appreciate that you have allowed us to share this with you and to pray for you. Love, Vickey

Anonymous said...

allison, we are glad to hear of izzy's good report. i'm sure you are processing everything right now. a verse that i have clung to since we have moved is 1Peter 5:10 "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." love and prayers, rixja