Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Turn

For those of you who know my wife, you know that she is quite possibly the most frugal young lady in the great state of Alabama...possibly the world. She'll go to one grocery over the other to save $.10 on milk. She'll pass a gas station to get to another one that is $.03 cheaper. In our sweet minivan, that saves us a rockin' $.54 on the fill up. Her logic: "Imagine if we did that all year! That stuff adds up!!"



Where am I headed with this? Oh yes, so as Allison mentioned in a previous post, today is "D-Day" for our insurance. No mas! As of midnight tonight, we are at the mercy of COBRA. Snakes are Satan's little hand puppets...COBRA is the insurance company's. So today, I loaded up on some contacts and burned the last bit of benefits I had. But this afternoon, we could see things getting a little uneasy. Abby started complaining of her throat hurting. But good news...it went away...she feels fine. Wait! Bad news. When we got back from the park, it hurt again...and this time she had a fever of 102.1. Fabulous. Now what?



Not willing to back down from the challenge, Allison packs her up and takes her to the after-hours clinic to get her checked out. Because if we wait, this will be a lot more expensive than a $25 co-pay and a prescription!! GO GET 'EM AL! So after a couple hours at the late night doc, the diagnosis is in: Strep Throat and Scarlet Fever. Yes, I said Scarlet Fever. I think I remember hearing about that going around during the colonial period, but not recently, and not in Birmingham. What in the world?? So they headed to Walgreen's to put in the prescription, wait, wait, wait, and then pick it up and come home. And it all had to be done before midnight. That's my girl. Got the job done.



Now we can head into our "limbo period" with some fresh drugs for Abs (sorry Kevin and Bok), and hopefully a clean slate...all thanks to my precious little penny pincher. God love her.



While I've "got the mic," let me say a few more words to those faithful readers and prayer warriors out there.



Thank you.



Your prayers have been felt every step along the way. While this pales in comparison to what millions of other people are going through, this has been a tough time for our family. The kids are oblivious. Dad is just on vacation. It won't get tough for them until I go back to work. But for Allison and me, this has meant a lot of growing. And your thoughts, notes, and prayers have meant more than you could realize as we push forward. I'm convinced that the progress we have seen in this first week is in direct proportion to the number of prayers being said on our behalf. So again, thank you.



Finally, let me brag a little. I don't do it much, so when I do it is okay (I checked with God...he's cool with it). I have quite possibly the most remarkable woman for a wife. I did a pretty darn good job of finding someone with such love, faith, and passion for her family. Everyone has heard of the Proverbs 31 woman, and I'm pretty sure I've got one. There are a few spots that are a little sketchy like verse 13 ("she gets up while it is still dark") and verse 22 ("she is clothed in fine linen and purple"). Allison and mornings don't really mesh -- although I will say that she is Johnny on the spot with her mommy ears. And unless Kohl's is considered fine linen, we may missed the mark. But I can certainly overlook those. Let me finish this novel off with what it says in verses 25 thru 29:



"She is clothed in strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and praises her: 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.'"



Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Right now, we need good health amongst the entire house (that may require extra prayer for little Jack), and we need movement and progress with the job search.



Good night. God Bless.



--JL



P.S. -- Go Sox!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Allison could (and does) do some bragging of her own. She has a very remarkable husband!!
with love and much prayer,
mary (momma C)