Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's Every Three-Year-Old's Dream

As I mentioned late last night, our little guy turned three years old today. I asked him about a week ago what he would like to do for his birthday this weekend. I was expecting an answer along the lines of "eat ice cream" or "go to the zoo", so I was a bit perplexed when he thought for a second, then leaned in really close to my face and whispered, "I go eat at Cappin Deeeeeeeees!".

Really?!? I thought he might have confused his third birthday with his eighty-third birthday, so I suggested a couple of other places I thought he might like. But he stuck to his guns and asked for Fish Sticks 'o Fat for his birthday meal.

I could hardly wait all week.

I had a session scheduled for this morning, and while we thought we were going to have to cancel because of the weather, we decided to go ahead and risk it while there was a break in the rain. As it turns out, the weather was perfect, and I think we got some fantastic shots (preview to come). As I was driving home from shooting, the bottom fell out of the sky...but nothing was going to stop me from picking up the rest of the crew and heading to Captain D's for Jack's birthday lunch.

Please note the enormous piece of fish that's invading the bottom right shot. Nasty.

Our original plan had been to really make the most of this Captain D's thing by doing the full cupcake and present drill there -- and perhaps I was hoping the employees would think it was so cute that Jack wanted to do his 3rd birthday celebration at their restaurant that they would give us free pie. Perhaps. But the weather went from bad to worse, so we decided to head back for the house. Since he went to pull the car around for us, poor Josh got the brunt of it.

The grease quickly overpowered Isabel, and she was out like a light.

You might think that the dreary weather made for a dreary little boy...

...but it was nothing that some new firetruck bedding couldn't solve.

Jack's one other request was for a cake with yellow icing. I couldn't see paying for a whole cake to dessert five people (yes, I just used "dessert" as a verb), so on the way out to Girl's Night last night, I grabbed a few cupcakes at Publix. Yellow and blue for Jack...

...and yellow and pink for the girls.

Izzy, of course, made a royal mess with hers.

As soon as the inhalation of sugar was complete, we headed upstairs to put Jack's new firetruck bedding on his bed. Here's the final (albeit temporary) product:

Izzy hung out on the other side of the room...

...and practiced stretching in what will be her new crib when the baby comes home.

Happy Birthday, little buddy. We love you so much, and we're so proud of you! (It's naptime now.)

2 comments:

Anna said...

happy birthday to you! happy birthday to you! happy birthday dear jack! happy birthday to you!!! can't wait to see you all soon! love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Jack! I'm thinking about you! Hope you had a fun day!
I love you,
Aunt Jaci