Monday, June 23, 2008

Jack's Big Ear Tube Day



It started at 5:20 this morning. Well, it was actually closer to 4:00 for me, but 5:20 is what time we headed out the door for Jack's surgery. We were scheduled to arrive at Children's Hospital downtown at 6:00. We rolled in at 5:50 and felt like everything was going just as planned until the nurse came in to Jack's hospital room and said these words: "Mr. and Mrs. Lewis...I'm afraid we have some bad news." Already? At 6:30 in the morning? She went on: "The doctor got stuck in New York, so we are having to cancel all of his surgeries today." Here it comes...I feel it...the big lump rising in my throat...the tears filling my eyes. She continued to tell us how sorry she was and that we should go back home and wait for the office to call us with a rescheduled surgery date. My mind is racing now. Do I quietly say "Yes ma'am" and go back home with a little guy who is desperate for this procedure or do I beg for mercy? I chose to beg. I'll spare you the details of my groveling, but in the end, we were sent to Children's South (which is right down the road from our house) to be worked in with another doctor. Once Jack was finally taken back to the OR, he was only away from us for about 25 minutes. The doctor came out and told us everything had gone perfectly and that Jack had already been working his way into another infection (just a few days after coming off of antibiotics for the last one!). By the time we got home, he had a voracious appetite (it was unlike anything I've ever seen!) and was ready for a snoozer. I expected him to sleep most of the afternoon, but as you can see, after a couple of hours he was up and ready to go. And by "ready to go", I mean that he is wild! Only six hours after surgery, he is acting like he feels so much better than he has in a while. As I'm looking back on the day now, I can see that God handled every concern we had as well as some we didn't even know to pray about (i.e. Children's South was our original choice of facilities for his surgery, but they were booked at the time and couldn't get us in for several more weeks). We're so glad today is over with, and we thank you for your prayers for our little guy!

1 comment:

Kenna Clark said...

I'm so glad everything worked out and Jack is on his way to being a healthier, happier little boy! He's so cute with his blond curls. Hope you're all doing well!